Sunday, August 14, 2011

To Study or not to Study??

CRUNCH!  That's the sound a ribcage makes when it is being pried open with a chisel and hammer.  I expected to be hearing that sound at least some time during my medical career...but I never thought I'd be so absolutely elated to be the one causing the sound.  The human body is truly amazing!! I must admit I am slightly conflicted about anatomy lab though.  On the one hand, I am learning soooo much.  On the other hand, a man had to die in order for me to be able to be learning sooo much.  Thank you, cadaver man! 

I've made a few realizations in the two weeks of medical school now under my belt.  One, I don't know a dang thing...Two...neither does anyone else!  There might be a student here or there that studied a little harder and has memorized the names of a few muscles or the metabolic pathway of lipids in the body...but when it comes down to it, we are like babies experiencing the world for the very first time...  Does that make anyone out there nervous?  Future doctors are like babies?  I wouldn't be too worried about it.  If there is one thing that medical students and babies have in common besides getting super cranky when hungry, is that of an unusual capacity to learn new things at an astoundingly accelerated rate.  Fear not future patients!!  You WILL be in good hands by the time I'm done here!!!

1 comment:

  1. So Awesome! Im so proud of you! You can do hard things. I threw up a little in my mouth at the thought of your first few sentences. Im so glad you are doing what you are doing and that you have a thirst for this kind of knowledge. You will bless many lives along your journey through life. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete